Re: On validator and reality

2012-06-07 20:17, bill kelley wrote:

> The validator marks any attributes which used to be in the html standard,
> but were removed by people with good intentions, as errors.

No, a markup validator proper checks a document against its formalized
syntax definition. If you want to use old features, use an old syntax
definition, called Document Type Definition.

> This is not a usable response as a validator.

A validator has a well-defined job. If you don't want it to do that,
don't use a validator.

There are various heuristic or pragmatic checkers, or "linters", around.
Use them if you like what *they* do. If you ask me, there is no decent
linter for HTML, sadly enough, and I guess I'm too old to write one.
That's why I use validators, because I know what they do and I know that
they detect syntax errors in a useful way, even though there are many
errors and issues that they don't, won't, and can't deal with.

Yucca