Re: Different results when validating by URI or Direct Input

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:10:23 +0300
To: Andreas Gomm <andreas.gomm@gtech.se>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
2012-07-30 7:57, Andreas Gomm wrote:

> Im getting different results when Im validating my website by direct
> input and by URI. When I copy/paste the html source it validates fine
> but when I enter the URI I get (some) errors.

The reason is that what you copy and paste differs from what the
validator gets when using a URI.

> Are the different validation methods using different code for the
> validation?

No.

> The URI Im testing is:
> http://www.genteycasas.com/es-co/product/terms-of-use

If you check the "Show source" checkbox under "Options", you'll see that
the page that the server sends to the validator differs from the version
if sends to browsers - or most browsers, since on Lynx, the markup seems
to match what the validator gets.

So apparently the server responds differently to different user agents,
probably via some server-side browser-sniffing.

Yucca