HTML5 rel=publisher?

From: Thomas Spear <speeddymon@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:00:44 -0600
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello,

I'm not subscribed, so please CC me on any replies. I have an HTML5 site
I'm writing which I am linking to an accompanying Google+ page. One of the
recommendations for the site in terms of how it appears in search engine
results, was to use rel=publisher -- I am getting an error that it is not a
valid IRI, so I checked through the microformats wike.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, rel=publisher was dropped for *html4 (html
version four)*, however it appears to be in proposed status for html5. Is
there anything I can do to work around that so it validates cleanly,
without having to remove the rel=publisher bit?

Thank you,

Thomas