Re: Offline use of validator.

On 09/09/2011 05:33 PM, Will Rose wrote:
> Using the current W3C markup validator off-line I found that the file:
>
>   /usr/local/validator/share/templates/en_US/table.tmpl
>
> has a reference to www.w3.org in the Javascript line:
>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/don_prog.js
> "></script>
>
> This causes a 30 sec delay on the first Firefox check of a file, while the
> search for the Javascript program times out.  The check still succeeds,
> but the delay is an annoyance - don_prog.js seems to be part of a donation
> program, but in any case it might be better to include the file with the
> validator tarball, or drop the reference from table.tmpl, or document the
> glitch.

I suppose there are some other glitches like this here and there - I
don't think there has been an effort to make the validator run in
offline mode at all.

> (Various other files in the package 404 - favicon.ico, some css files, and
> some png files - but these don't cause delays.)

I don't see any of these in with local validator development instance.
Could you be more specific what are the exact errors you see?

Regarding favicon.ico, there's only an absolute URL to
http://www.w3.org/2008/site/images/favicon.ico which isn't 404 for me,
and I suspect 404's on CSS and PNG files might be due to improper
content negotiation settings in the local web server config (see the
"<Directory /usr/local/validator/htdocs/>" section in
httpd/conf/httpd.conf included with the validator tarball).