Re: [VE][html5] conflicting errors for <area> without a href

From: kunda <kunda@internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:29:36 +1100
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
On 27/10/2011 1:30 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 26.10.2011 7:04, kunda wrote:
>
>> Checking a HTML5 document with an <area> tag without a href attribute
>> gives this error:
>> "Element area is missing required attribute href"
>
> This is odd, because it's an HTML5-style message (the format is
> different when validating as HTML 4.01).
>
>> I'm pretty sure the HTML5 validator accepted <area> tags without the
>> href attribute a couple days ago, did an update to it regress this?
>
> Currently, the following document validates:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> <title></title>
> <map name=foo>
> <area>
> </map>
>
> But perhaps you have a different <area> element that somehow makes the
> validator think that href is required. Can you please post a URL (or
> an exact, copy & paste copy of a document) for a document that fails
> validation with the error message you quoted?

Here's the validation link:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F6yrcw5c&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&ss=1&verbose=1

The page is still a WIP and I reduced the CSS to fit everything in 8192
chars, so only Firefox prefixes means no other browsers will do the
zooming.
I got the validator to show the source for people to easily see if I
made a mistake somewhere.