[VE][html5] conflicting errors for <area> without a href

From: kunda <kunda@internode.on.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:04:06 +1100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Checking a HTML5 document with an <area> tag without a href attribute
gives this error:
"Element area is missing required attribute href"

But if I add a nohref attribute to <area> I get:
"The nohref attribute on the area element is obsolete. Omitting the href
attribute is sufficient."

I'm pretty sure the HTML5 validator accepted <area> tags without the
href attribute a couple days ago, did an update to it regress this?

Thanks, Kunda.