Re: [VE][html5] charset encoding warnings

15.10.2011 18:03, Andreas Prilop wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> The reason is that by the HTML5 drafts, browsers are required
>> to treat iso-8859-1 as windows-1252.
>>  From a different perspective, this is just madness – kludgy error
>> recovery turned to a standard and an international, widely deployed
>> standard flushed down the toilet in favor of a vendor-specific encoding.
>
> Right.
> And one may ask: Why not do the same for ISO-8859-9 and Windows-1254,
> for ISO-8859-11 and Windows-874?
> Or why not treat *all* 8-bit encodings as Windows-1256?

It seems that at least for ISO-8859-9, the treatment is now similar,
both in the HTML5 draft and in the validator.nu behavior; I get

Warning: Using windows-1254 instead of the declared encoding iso-8859-9.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/test9.html9

This is in accordance with
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/parsing.html#character-encodings-0

--