(unknown charset) Re: [VE][247] Add Subject Here

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 06:28:42 +0100
To: (unknown charset) "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Cc: (unknown charset) www-validator@w3.org
Jukka K. Korpela, Thu, 17 Nov 2011 01:06:38 +0200:
> something like this:
>
> "A tag of the form <FOO /> is formally correct

It is actually not a tag, per HTML4 - it is  tag plus a character ...
you know. Hence the current text says 'sequence'.

> but should not be used in HTML (as opposite to XHTML).

Please replace 'HTML' with 'HTML4', and please say 'XHTML and HTML5'.

> The validator treats it very differently
> from what you expect, and this causes many confusing error messages.

This seems like the most important point. May be it should say 'treats
it according to SGML rules, which in this particular case is quite
different from what most developers/authors expect, and this causes
confusing error messages.'

> Remove the '/' character."

Here I would have written: In order to make the best use of the
validator's HTML4 validation abilities, you should remove the '/'
character, so as to not be disturbed by confusing error messages.

Leif H Silli