(unknown charset) Re: [VE][247] Add Subject Here

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:23:24 +0100
To: (unknown charset) "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Cc: (unknown charset) www-validator@w3.org, Aneka Diskusi <diskusian@gmail.com>
Jukka K. Korpela, Wed, 16 Nov 2011 18:32:26 +0200:

> and in Strict, character data is not allowed as content directly
> inside <body>.

Then the Error message ought to be changed:

     '''The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two
     different ways, depending on the DOCTYPE of the document.
     For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/' terminates the tag <FOO (with
     an implied '>').'''

The above sounds as if it is only with STRICT doctype that '/'
terminates the tag. Whereas the correct thing is that it is the content
model of the body element that differs depending on STRICT and
TRANSITIONAL doctype.

> markup validation should do exact validation, without
> dropping some rules, especially if its reports specifically refer to
> HTML 4.01, in a rather formal tone at that.

Yes, it helps to track progress and differences if it is accurate.
After a second and third thought, I agree that the validator do the
right thing - except for the fact that the very error message is
contrived.
--
Leif H Silli