(unknown charset) Re: HTML5 and Unicode Normalization Form C

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 22:16:58 +0200
To: (unknown charset) www-validator@w3.org
Cc: (unknown charset) www-international@w3.org
John Cowan, Sun, 29 May 2011 16:05:09 -0400:
> Koji Ishii scripsit:
>> However, I'm against applying NFC to displayable contents. If you
>> read XML 1.0 5th Edition carefully, it suggests using NFC only for
>> XML Names[1].
> Actually, it suggests not using compatibility characters.  It's neutral
> about precomposed (NFC) vs. decomposed (NFD).

Well, it doesn't sound neutral when XML 1.0 says:

3.	Characters in names should be expressed using Normalization Form C
as defined in [UnicodeNormal].

The [UnicodeNormal] reference leads to 'Unicode normalization forms'
[1].  However it appears a bit circular when it claims that "other W3C
Specifications (such as XML 1.0 5th Edition) recommend using
Normalization Form C for all content".  (XML 1.0 points to the report
and the report points to XML 1.0.) And it doesn't seem that XML 1.0
specifically recommends NFC "for all content".

[1] http://unicode.org/reports/tr15/
Leif Halvard Silli