Re: HTML5 Validator doesn't appear to understand colspan

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 23:14:58 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org
CC: John Stokes <jstokes@heartofthefyre.us>
23.5.2011 22:50, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:

> Can you please either post a URL for the page that contains that colspan,
> or a reduced document that causes the same error to be emitted?

Well, the description was somewhat obscure, but it seems that the
following minimal document exhibits the problem:

<!doctype html><title></title>

> And that error message is indicating that your colspan attribute is
> establishing a column that ends up not having any cells in it

The way I see it, the <td colspan=2> element should establish two
columns, with one cell in each column, though the cell is shared.

But it seems that HTML5 wishes to disallow such usage where the second
column has no other cells. The usage is probably harmless but redundant
(you could just omit the colspan attribute), and treating it as an error
may help to detect real problems where the colspan attribute was not
meant to be redundant.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/