HTML5 Validator doesn't appear to understand colspan

From: John Stokes <jstokes@heartofthefyre.us>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 09:45:34 -0700
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

The HTML5 validator doesn't seem to understand a colspan attribute
on a  in the first row of a table.

Here is the error I receive:
Table
column 2 established by element td has no cells beginning in it.
Date:
Thu. May. 19, 2011

If I put a "dummy" row with the structure

 &nbsp;

&nbsp;

before the above row it validates correctly.

In reviewing the
HTML5 spec, I don't see anything that prohibits a colspan from appearing
in the first row of a table, nor can I find anything else syntatically
wrong with my code.

-John