Reporting line number is inaccurate

From: Brett Alton <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 13:43:43 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
When I have an error, the validator reports as "Line 26, column 8: end
tag for "ul" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified".

This is fine, but my error is not on line 26.

When I click 'view source' through your validator, I see that it
removes all the whitespace in the <head></head> and squeezes it all on
line 1. If it didn't do that, the line number, when looking at the
html page) actually has a line number of "Line 114, column 9".

Should the line number not reflect the original source code and not
the stripped whitespace source code?

--
Brett Alton
http://brettalton.com