Re: extra stuff in source

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 23:04:00 +0200
To: Nicholas Bamber <nicholas@periapt.co.uk>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
On 03/15/2011 10:20 PM, Nicholas Bamber wrote:
> ./htdocs/navbar.css.gz
> ./htdocs/base.css.gz
> ./htdocs/tips.css.gz
> ./htdocs/print.css.gz
> ./htdocs/scripts/combined.js.gz
> ./htdocs/docs.css.gz
> ./htdocs/handheld.css.gz
> ./htdocs/results.css.gz
> ./htdocs/style/base.css.gz
> ./htdocs/style/results.css.gz
>
> I also had concerns about some of the javascript files. However that
> seems to be wrong. What I did notice whilst checking that out is that
> line 20 of htdocs/header.html specifies "combined" when I suspect it
> should be "combined.js".

All of that is intentional.  Validator's default configuration uses
content negotiation with "MultiViews" to serve these files (see
httpd/conf/httpd.conf in the validator tarball), and the above files are
required for the default configuration to work as intended out of the box.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/content-negotiation.html