Re: Non-Public IP addresses - W3C Validator

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:21:14 +0000
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: <craig@cprgltd.com>

On 27 Jan 2011, at 10:46, C. Thacker wrote:
> Blocking non-public IP addresses is rather mysterious particularly as it applies to 10.0.0.2.  I can’t be the only person who runs Microsoft’s IIS over an internal development network and relies heavily on the validator to check code compliance.

It makes perfect sense as a default — you don't want a public facing validator be be able to grab HTML documents form your internal network and then present them to the open web.

You can change this in your install by altering the config line:

    Allow Private IPs = no

(Which I found in validator.conf in my /etc/w3c/ directory after installing the Debian package).

(Obviously, if this was set to yes on the install living at http://validator.w3.org/ it would refer to the network that machine lived on, and not to your LAN, so it would make no sense to change this on that install of the validator.)

--
David Dorward