Re: [VE][404] Add Subject Here

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:45:35 +0200
To: "MS" <mscherbaum12@gmail.com>, <www-validator@w3.org>
MS wrote:

> I have error but I have not character like that on that page.
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shawwoodheat.webcard..ie%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.2

You mean
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shawwoodheat.webcard.ie%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.2
(i.e., two dots ".." in your domain name replaced by a single dot ".")

> Error [404]: "character X is the first character of a delimiter but
> occurred as data"

That's a generic error message generated by the validator when you follow a
feedback a link. The actual error message is

"Line 13, Column 79: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but
occurred as data
.aw name has been involved in forestry & woodland work since the 1920's so
it's."

The string occurs within the content="..." attribute of a meta tag.
According to XHTML rules, no occurrence of plain "&" as a data character is
allowed anywhere in a document. As the annotations to the error message
suggest, replace it by "&amp;".

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/