Re: Failure of validator to recognize a namespace.

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:41:39 +0200
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: <peasthope@shaw.ca>
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> According to my understanding, this short text is valid
> SVG.  It fails the validator; but if the two instances of
> "svg:" are removed it passes.  That's a bug isn't it?

It's a feature, not a bug:

"Note that DTD-based validation is not namespace-aware in the following
sense: a DTD constrains the elements and attributes that may appear in a
document by their uninterpreted names, not by (namespace name, local name)
pairs. To validate a document that uses namespaces against a DTD, the same
prefixes must be used in the DTD as in the instance."
  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#ns-using

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/