Re: False unclosed element logging

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 23:25:28 +0200
To: "Pelletier, Bryce X. -ND" <Bryce.X.Pelletier.-ND@disney.com>
CC: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>
2011-11-28 18:34, Pelletier, Bryce X. -ND wrote:

> http://www.disneyeventgroup.com/index.php/creative_media/pre_event_messaging/
[...]
>  1. Error /Line 724, Column 11/: End tag for body seen, but there were
>     unclosed elements.

This error message is related to the next one.

There are errors before this one, and in general, it pays of to fix
errors in order, because one error can cause other errors later, even a
cascade of error messages, possibly rather confusing. In this case,
though, it seems the other errors, though relevant, are not related to
the issue at hand.

>  2. Error /Line 75, Column 22/: Unclosed element div.
>
>     |		<div id="container"*>*|
>

> I went back and checked a few times and they are both closed properly.

But where is that <div> element expected to end, i.e. where is its end
tag? There are 27 <div> start tags and only 26 </div> end tags.

Because the <div> element has not been closed, another error messages is
issued when the </body> end tag is seen (which is somewhat redundant,
but I don't think there's any easy fix to this).

Yucca