Re: Translations of the user interface

From: Andreas Prilop <aprilop@freenet.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:25:54 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> b) some other people translated the texts into their languages.
> As far as I know, at least part b) is purely volunteer work,

Even when translators are paid, the translations may be bad.
I just see a strange mistranslation in Microsoft Word 14 (2010).
The Unicode block “Spacing modifier letters” was translated
into German as “Buchstaben zur Abstanddefinition” (and even
missing an “s”).

“Buchstaben zur Abstandsdefinition” would mean something like
“Letters for the definition of distance”.

That’s one reason why I prefer the original language version
of software (usually English).