RE: Validator parses HTML in CSS block comment?

From: Russell Morrisey <Russell.Morrisey@missionse.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:26:51 -0400
To: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>
CC: "aprilop@freenet.de" <aprilop@freenet.de>
Andreas,

We use XHTML because the wicket web framework recommends XHTML, and it's more strict than HTML4. Wicket does some limited validation of our XHTML syntax; but, it isn't comprehensive, and doesn't flag this case. I was running a snippet of the generated code through the W3C validator to troubleshoot a browser-specific rendering issue when I ran across this error.

I didn't know that script and style require CDATA in XHTML; it makes sense, but, it didn't occur to me. Maybe the W3C validator could detect this condition and provide a warning, before trying to parse the contained data? We'll correct our markup accordingly.

Thanks for your reply,

RUSSELL E. MORRISEY
Software Engineer, Staff
Mission Solutions Engineering, LLC

| Russell.Morrisey@missionse.com | www.missionse.com
304 West Route 38, Moorestown, NJ 08057-3212