HTML5 custom meta element name attribute values should be a warning

From: Ryan Foster <rrf5000@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:37:51 -0400
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
While validating some HTML Doctyped as HTML5 with the W3C Markup Validator
(http://validator.w3.org), I came across the following error:

Line 6, Column 35: Bad value version for attribute name on element meta:
Keyword version is not registered.

Line 7, Column 52: Bad value support-email for attribute name on element
meta: Keyword support-email is not registered.

I believe this is the relevant section of the HTML5 spec:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/semantics.html#o
ther-metadata-names

When I validate using the HTML 4.01 Strict Doctype, the errors aren't there.
Is there a reason that this warrants an error instead of a warning?  Is this
an issue with the HTML specification(s) or with the W3C Validator?

The test HTML that I was validating:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<head>

<title>Title Here</title>