Validator does not report improperly terminated tags

From: <jpkozma@knology.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:57:30 -0400
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
The attached document was submitted by a student of mine.  It includes paragraph tags that are terminated as empty elements, and as such, I
don't think it should be considered valid under the strict DTD.  Nevertheless, the w3c validator reports it as valid.  Validator.nu does
report the improperly terminated paragraph tags as errors.

Is this a bug or is it something I don't understand correctly?

Thanks for your help.

John Kozma