Pseudo-class validation for IE8

From: William Willis <Zudane@harsh-reality.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 18:24:13 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org
I was having a major problem with a site I was working on, which ran
through the validator just fine.  Overall it was a problem only with
IE8, and turned out to be a problem with the pseudo-classes for the 'a'
tag.  Well, technically two problems.

Could the validator be changed to giving warning when pseudo-classes are
not used in order, or when pseudo-class tags are not used correctly?
Two examples with the site I was working on:

Original code:
a:hover.tooltip span { ... }

working code:
a.tooltip:link span { ... }
a.tooltip:visited span { ... }
a.tooltip:hover span { ... }
a.tooltip:active span { ... }

The problem was that the pseudo-class should have been after the tooltip
class, and that there was no link or visited pseudo-classes prior to.
Once this change was made IE8 had no problem with it.

Would be nice to see at least a warning for it.

Thank you,
William Willis