Re: [VE][108] - "id" as Attribute in Title Tag

From: <rolf@just-in-mind.se>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:53:30 +0200
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Thanks, for the tips! Now we have zero errors on the page.

It's amazing how many errors there are out there, even on prestigious
sites like www.cnn.com and www.wsj.com.

Browsers must be very forgiving and tolerant indeed!

Also, when grading with e.g. Firebug, the performance is quite poor for
the sites mentioned.

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
2010-09-06 17:18

<rolf@just-in-mind.se>
cc
<www-validator@w3.org>
Subject

rolf@just-in-mind.se wrote:

> I'm using the "id" of the <title> element in JavaScript code, and it
> works fine, although it's not officially accepted in HTML 4.01.

It simply isn't part of HTML 4.01. If you use it because all browsers you
have tested seem to recognize it, that's your choice, and probably not
particularly risky, but it still isn't HTML 4.01 and your document isn't
valid.

It's easiest to remove the id attribute from the <title> element and use
document.getElementsByTagName('title')[0]
in JavaScript to access that element.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/