bug: case-insensitive checking of IDs

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 04:58:20 +0900
To: www-validator@w3.org
I notice that HTML4 checking performed by the markup validator is raising
false-positive "duplicate ID" errors for IDs the match case insensitively.

Is that intentional? If so, why? I know that browsers certainly don't
process IDs case insensitively, and I'm not aware of other UAs that do.

If it's not intentional, is it a known issue, or should I raise a new bug
for it?

For examples of some case-insensitive "duplicate ID" false positives (400+
of them), see:

Michael(tm) Smith