Re: [VE][47] End of document in prolog error using locally installed W3C validator

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:27:43 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Friday 12 November 2010, Ian Kent wrote:

> Error [47]: "end of document in prolog"
> I installed the validator using apt-get install w3c-markup-validator on
> Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop.
[...]
> If I run the following command given by the validator manually:
> /usr/bin/onsgmls -n -c /usr/share/w3c-markup-validator/catalog/sgml.soc -R
> -wvalid -wnon-sgml-char-ref -wno-duplicate I get the following error
> message:
[...]

This sounds like the Ubuntu validator packages may be quite badly outdated,
validator hasn't used /usr/bin/onsgmls since version 0.8.0 (released
2007-07-25).

I suggest notifying the Ubuntu package maintainers about this, and in the
meantime installing from sources; instructions are at
http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html#install-fromsource