Re: how to validate a page which uses SSI

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:06:31 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: joe and cathy <joeandcathy@talktalk.net>
On 30 Mar 2010, at 20:28, joe and cathy wrote:
> I have a site written in HTML 4.01 and CSS, where most pages use SSI.
> I am planning to change it to XHTML 1.0/1.1.

Probably not a good idea. The benefits are non-existent for most authors. Unless you plan to process your documents with XML tools (and then have the joy of trying to get Appendix C compatible output), I'd stick to 4.01.

> The SSI blocks contain, for example, many img tags, and currently the img end tags do not have a "/" character.
> How can I validate the pages with the SSI blocks included??

Correct the included data. Only the final document matters, not the process that is used to put it together.

David Dorward