Re: Validation bug - XHTML 1.1 and XHTML+RDFa

On Monday 15 March 2010, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> XHTML 1.1 doesn't cover the lang attribute - it only supports xml:lang.
> But when I actually tried to validate a page with @lang, then it
> validated. How come?
>
> I have heard that XHTML 1.1. will soon be redefined to support @lang
> (which is great!). Is Validator.w3.org anticipating this?

The validator uses the XHTML 1.1 DTD copied from http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/
which I gather is the location recommended by the XHTML WG; it was switched to
that one in the 0.8.6 validator release to get fixes to some other bugs in
earlier XHTML 1.1 DTD versions.  That version appears to contain both xml:lang
and lang.

> At the same time, when using the XHTML+RDFa doctype, then one gets the
> message that 'there is no attribute "lang"' ... This is interesting,
> because XHTML+RDFa is based on XHTMl 1.1. One should have expected
> identical behaviour from both.
>
> If there is some kind of anticipation going on, then that's OK for me.
> However, it is only confusing that XHTML+RDFa and XHTML 1.1. doesn't
> behave the same way.

I agree.  The XHTML+RDFa DTD currently used by the validator is the one from
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-rdfa-syntax-20081014 .  The XHTML+RDFa DTDs
available from http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/ on the other hand have been
updated similarly as the XHTML 1.1 DTDs there, they contain both xml:lang and
lang.  Not sure if we should update them as well - unlike the XHTML 1.1 DTDs
I'm not aware of any actual bugs in the XHTML+RDFa ones and I suppose one
could call it a bug that the XHTML 1.1 DTDs used by the validator do contain
xml:lang at the moment...