Re: Validator tarballs missing

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:44:59 +0200
To: Andrew Carlson <andrew@intermundomedia.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
On Tuesday 09 March 2010, Andrew Carlson wrote:
> Just a simple question, I don't want to subscribe to anything,  I couldn't
> find the answer in the archives only hits were 2 years old - the source
> for the validator seems to be offline - attempts to download tarball
> result in 404 error.  Will this be resolved?
>
> from the docs:
> http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html
>
> url: http://validator.w3.org/validator.tar.gz
>
> Cannot find tarballs, opensuse repo doesn't seem to have it anymore either.

Thanks for the report.

All release tarballs are available at http://validator.w3.org/dist/ , grab the
*-0_8_6.tar.gz ones to get the current release.  (Also, you may want to look
into CVS for some post-0.8.6 fixes especially if you're going to be validating
non-UTF-8 XML documents, including XHTML ones.)

Looks like some symbolic links to the latest version are MIA (these are the
ones validator's docs point at):
http://validator.w3.org/validator.tar.gz
http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib.tar.gz

And these are outdated, they point to the 0.8.5 release at the moment:
http://validator.w3.org/dist/validator.tar.gz
http://validator.w3.org/dist/sgml-lib.tar.gz