Re: [VE][libxml2-5] Confusing error when validating

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 22:45:45 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Monday 08 March 2010, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > dlavelle@notes.cc.sunysb.edu writes:
> >> Validating the following fails.  Is that correct?
> >
> > I don't understand why you're asking, since...
> >
> >>             <option
> >>
> >> value="mercedes"selected='selected'>Mercedes</option> <!-- put a
> >> space between {value="mercedes"} and {selected='selected'} to remove
> >> the error: Error  Line 15: Extra content at the end of the
> >> document.-->
[...]
> 2) The validator used to fail to detect this error at all when processing
> XHTML, though the W3C CSS Validator (!) detected it. It seems that it now
> detects the problem, which is an improvement, but fails to report it
> properly.

This is a problem in the XML::LibXML Perl module installed on the
validator.w3.org servers - it fails to make all its error messages available
to the validator and it gets only the last one in some cases which in this
particular case is the least interesting/useful one of them.  The problem has
been fixed in more recent versions of XML::LibXML, such as the one installed
on qa-dev:

http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fqa-
dev.w3.org%2F~ville%2Fxml-libxml-170.xhtml

I've notified the server administrators about the details, hopefully it can be
fixed on validator.w3.org as well.