Re: error mesage

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Michal wrote:
> > My pages have been valid, but yesterday the W3C validator found a
> > mistake, which I don't know, where is it and how can I fixed it.
> > The results of my validation of the web pages are here:
> > http://lide.gymcheb.cz/~mikrbec/oktava/seminarka-VOS/index.php; I
> > think the error is with you.
>
> My guess is that this problem was caused by the recent update of the W3C
> validator, and this really looks like a bug that I have not seen before.

That's right, it's a regression in 0.8.6, hopefully a "hotfix" will be
deployed soon (fix is already in CVS).

> It seems that the bug may depend on the use of the windows-1250 encoding.

The root cause is that we first transcode all documents to UTF-8, then pass
the result of that to the XML parser for wellformedness checks (if the doc is
XML).  That requires us to change encoding="..." in the XML declaration
appropriately in the transcoded result before handing that doc to the XML
parser, but unfortunately a bug snuck in 0.8.6 which broke this encoding-
munging operation.  And in this particular case the UTF-8-transcoded doc ended
up being passed to the XML parser with the original encoding="windows-1250"
intact and things went south from there :(