checklink: LWP in user agent string means some servers return 406 Not Acceptable

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 17:59:38 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi systeam,

I know this ain't going to get a high priority flag any time soon but,
well, I thought I'd log it anyway...

I was curious to know why I was getting a 406 Not Acceptable response
when I tried to check the links on http://i-sieve.com/ After digging
around I narrowed it down to the UA string used by the link checker:

W3C-checklink/4.5 [4.160] libwww-perl/5.823

If I do a GET on http://i-sieve.com with this UA string I get the 406.
Delete the 'libwww-perl/5.823' from the end and I get a 200 OK. Since I
don't control the i-sieve.com server I can't change this behaviour and
so I wonder whether the checker could be amended very slightly to either

a) remove the libwww reference in the UA string
b) offer an option to run the checker with a different UA string

Cheers

Phil.

--

Phil Archer