Re: [VE][64] document type does not allow element "TFOOT" here

"David  Peabody" <DavidP@smdi.com> writes:
> The only method we have found to overcome this validation error is to
> place the table footer <tfoot> between the table header <thead> and
> the table body <tbody> in the HTML code.

Correct.

> Unfortunately, this configuration is not Section 508 Compliant as per
> U.S. Government regulations concerning electronic data accessibility.
> When the disabled user employs their screen reader to “listen” to the
> site they hear the table’s title and/or column heads first <thead> and
> then the table’s source and footnotes <tfoot> before the table’s main
> data <tbody>.

That's a bug in the web client.

> Does the W3C have suggestions or can they alter their testing methods
> to discourage this <tfoot> placement because it interferes with
> disabled users’ accessibility?

The placement of tfoot between thead and tbody is intentional.  It makes
it easier for clients to display long tables on paged media (provided
the table is explicitly sized).  There are probably other reasons as
well (such as when the tbody is dynamically generated by the client).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no