Re: Custom attributes in HTML elements

From: Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:48:46 -0800
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Claudia Murialdo <cmurialdo@gmail.com>, www-validator@w3.org
Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Claudia Murialdo, Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:26:32 -0200:
>
>> I need to add a few custom attributes in some HTML elements, which is
>> the best way to do it in order to keep validating with w3c validation
>> service?.
>
> Why? How do you want to use the attributes? Do you want to access them
> via CSS or via Javascript or?

I personally use data-spider="{true|false}" to tell my search engine
whether it can index a node and it's child.

I also use a few others in anchor tags for server side generation of
sidebar nav menus. They could be ripped out before document is sent, but
I leave them there so I can view the generated source if something seems
screwy.