Re: Possible bad html passing validator -- RESOLVED

On 12/9/2010 10:24 AM, Michael Adams wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2010 18:45, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Dear Sirs:
>>
>> I have a document that is giving faulty display on my Win XP SP3. I
>> found the W3C Markup validator and was able reduce to an error-free
>> snippet that shows the problem (did get a warning about "direct input",
>> but since I forced to UTF-8 I think its okay?).
> There is a way to check the validity of your UTF-8 (you may have a bad
> character). Use "iconv", a GNU tool.
>
> Unfortunately the w3c UTF-8 validator seems broken:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/01/yacker/uploads/utf8-validator

After Firefox Bugzilla confirmed that they could see a problem, I
started debugging my machine and, since it seemed to be a phone number
issue, I checked out my Skype and Firefox Skype extension. They were a
major release out of date, so I upgrade from Skype 4.0.0.226 to
5.0.0.152 and made sure the only extension was 5.0.0.6778 (instead of
the old 2.x version I had).

Html started correctly displaying in Skype format and, when I turned off
that display mode, the html displayed correctly.

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions and am grateful that
it ended up turning out to be something relatively easy on my end.

Paul