command line html validation

From: Chelton Evans <chelton.evans@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:33:45 -0800 (PST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
While following validator.w3.org/docs/install.html I noticed set 4 had check with a url reference.  Is it possible to use the validator to look at local files.

I am interested in parsing or getting the information before it is put into a html page.  Is there a way to generate xml data as an error/warning list.

Then could feed this to my tool chain or vim. In essence I would like to use the validator not as a web service but a text parser/xml tool. For example to batch process directories with many html files and generate reports.

kind regards
Chelton Evans