Possible bad html passing validator

From: Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:45:50 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org
CC: pnewell@cs.cmu.edu
Dear Sirs:

I have a document that is giving faulty display on my Win XP SP3. I
found the W3C Markup validator and was able reduce to an error-free
snippet that shows the problem (did get a warning about "direct input",
but since I forced to UTF-8 I think its okay?).

I submitted the following via direct input (also provided as attachment):
<LI>8am to 5pm 650-456-7890
<LI>8am to 5pm 650-456-7890

If I create an html file with the above, the first LI's 650-456-7890
doesn't display:

    * 8am to 5pm
    * 8am to 5pm 650-456-7890

Tried all sorts of variations to see if I could isolate it, but I can't
spot whatever is the problem except that adding zero-length spaces near
the "0's" seemed to help.

I checked FAQs but they seem to be about errors. The only mention of
"bad stuff validating" talks about SHORTTAG from SGML and I don't think
I have that (but I am a novice on such and could be very wrong). I
didn't spot anything in the Web Authoring FAQ page.

This may be an html issue (I didn't see it in html 1.x over a decade ago
when I originally wrote the file that is now showing the problem) and
therefore maybe it should go to a different email address. But the
safest avenue seemed to be to view it as "the validator says I am good
but I am seeing display errors that I would have presumed the validitor
would have picked up". If there is a better email to send to, please let
me know and I will send to the correct address.

Thanks in advance,