Re: Check existence of class names

From: <chukharev@mail.ru>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:10:54 +0300
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>
Cc: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:48:10 +0300, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> chukharev@mail.ru wrote:
>
>> In my small experience it's relatively easy to subdivide a big
>> CSS file into a set of files with hierarchic inclusions and use
>> only the needed classes. The list of can help in doing so.
>
> But would one want to do this ?  When a single CSS file is
> referenced by multiple pages in a series, it is downloaded
> once (for the first page) and cached thereafter (for all
> subsequent pages|.  Dividing it into disjoint pieces would
> inhibit such beneficial caching, would it not ?

MobileOK Checker recommends to limit the total size of all web page...

In a simple case the set of used linked CSS files was divided into
5 files, but only 3 were included in 10 pages, others are used
indirectly, via those 3. My mobile phone does not cache anything.
My computer caches all three used CSS file, size is just a bit bigger.
Not taking into account the size of (pseudo)classes identified as
totally unneeded traces from old times.

I am not certain yet how to take it.

--
Vladimir Chukharev