Re: EOF detected with HTML5 and NFC

On Monday 19 April 2010, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> Julien ÉLIE <julien@trigofacile.com>, 2010-04-07 18:26 +0200:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm checking my web site with the new HTML 5 parser and I do not
> >
> > understand the following error on:
> >    http://www.trigofacile.com/jardins/lucullus/grec/democrite/fragments.h
> >    tm
> >
> >    "Line 123, Column 246: End of file seen and there were open elements."
>
> I can reproduce that error when I use the HTML5 facet of the
> http://validator.w3.org/ UI, but I can't reproduce when I validate
> your document directly against the backend validator.nu instance
> we have running on that host.
>
> So... the unexpected error you're seeing appears to be caused by
> some problem in the W3C validator perl code that hands off the
> document for validation to the validator.nu backend, and that then
> consumes the report that comes back from that backend.
>
> I don't personally have much experience with that code, so I can't
> be much help with troubleshooting it.

I tested it a bit.

With my local validator instance which always posts to validator.nu I cannot
reproduce the problem.  On qa-dev.w3.org which posts to its local HTML5
validator instance it occurs apparently every time.  But if I reconfigure the
qa-dev validator instance to post to validator.nu, the problem goes away.  (I
reverted the qa-dev validator instance at http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/ to
post to the local qa-dev HTML5 validator for testing so it fails again at the
moment.)  On the other hand, consistent with your findings, directly using
http://qa-dev.w3.org:8888/ does not show failures.

Could it be that some of the validator.w3.org boxes have a buggy/outdated
local instance of the HTML5 validator where the issue occurs only when using
the POST body input interface?