Re: EOF detected with HTML5 and NFC

From: Julien ÉLIE <julien@trigofacile.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:48:47 +0200
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hi Mike,

>> I'm checking my web site with the new HTML 5 parser and I do not
>> understand the following error on:
>>
>>    http://www.trigofacile.com/jardins/lucullus/grec/democrite/fragments.htm
>>
>>    "Line 123, Column 246: End of file seen and there were open elements."
>
> I can reproduce that error when I use the HTML5 facet of the
> http://validator.w3.org/ UI, but I can't reproduce when I validate
> your document directly against the backend validator.nu instance
> we have running on that host.

Thanks for having tested!

> So... the unexpected error you're seeing appears to be caused by
> some problem in the W3C validator perl code that hands off the
> document for validation to the validator.nu backend, and that then
> consumes the report that comes back from that backend.

That's interesting.
I have just done various tests and it appears that the problem
is only triggered off when, on validator.w3.org, the doctype
is "(detect automatically)".
If I force it to "HTML5", there is no problem!  The page is always
reported to be valid.  But with "(detect automatically)", it is
sometimes valid sometimes invalid.

Does it give you a better idea of where the problem might be?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le rire est une chose sérieuse avec laquelle il ne faut pas plaisanter. »
  (Raymond Devos)