Re: Form input element not checked for presence of 'name'-attribute

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:58:56 +0900
To: "Jakob KrŹ«Óker" <JAKOB_KROEKER@gmx.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
"\"Jakob KrŹ«Óker\"" <JAKOB_KROEKER@gmx.net>, 2010-04-16 12:13 +0200:

> Hello,
>
> the standard says for the form <input> element:
>
> " attribute name required for all but submit and reset"
> ( http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#edef-FORM )
>
> but the validator does not check the presence of the "name"
> attribute for all but submit and reset input elements. Is this a
> bug?

It instead seems like a editorial bug in the HTML4 DTD. The only
place that constraint is stated is in an non-normative comment in
the DTD (at least I hope it was never intended to be normative..).
It's not stated anywhere in the prose of the spec itself, as far
as I can see.

Maybe the HTML WG at the time originally intended for it to be
stated in the spec also, but forgot to add it. Or, given that
there's no way to actually express that constraint using a DTD,
maybe they decided to drop it but forgot to remove the comment.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike