Re: Reporting a Validator bug

Thanks for your detailed response.  I take it then, that there is in fact a bug in Validator.

Your suggestion to use images to simplify the code might make it look neater but adding hundreds of images, one for each line, would make loading impossibly slow.  These pages are put up for people to use and speed of execution trumps coding convenience every time.

Where are the vertical and horizontal tabbing we need, both relative and absolute?  It would have been nice if the designers of this brain dead language we're all stuck with, and/or their successors who formalized and extended it, had bothered to learn something about typesetting, or even typewriting, before they turned it loose on the world.

I have eliminated all use of non-standard character entities, and converted ">"s to the standard character entity ">".

I have also dropped those "px"s, which were put in at an early stage when I was still sorting out the differences between CSS and HTML.  I have left the line

as it is, even though it has no "href", "id", or "name" components, because I don't need them.  I am using <a> to frame this text beccause <p> forces a line break, and I want this text to appear on the same lines as the images.  There may be another way to accomplish that, but the present code doesn't violate Strict XHTML as far as I can say, nor does it even generate a warning when I run Validator.  Neither, for that matter, do those superfluous "px"s and I wonder how you came up with warning messages for this?

As for these items

  LINE 671 The "disable_script" element is not a recognized element. Is it misspelled?
  LINE 683 The "disable_script" element is not a recognized element. Is it misspelled?

there is no such text in my file, which is also only 600 lines long.

The final elements in all my pages are a block of Statcounter javascript code which is supposed to be XHTML compliant, and maybe these erroneous messages were generated because of embedded tricks.  This code also generates not so much as a warning when I run it through Validator.  In any case I tried eliminating it entirely, and rerunning Validator against the cleaned up file, but it still times out.

John Robb