Re: how to validate a page which uses SSI

From: Paul Novitski <paul@juniperwebcraft.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:37:37 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org
At 3/31/2010 02:06 AM, David Dorward wrote:
> > I am planning to change it to XHTML 1.0/1.1.
>
>Probably not a good idea. The benefits are non-existent for most
>authors. Unless you plan to process your documents with XML tools
>(and then have the joy of trying to get Appendix C compatible
>output), I'd stick to 4.01.

For me, who routinely generates markup programmatically, one of the
most significant advantages of using XHTML is the rigorousness of the
automated validators which point out missing close-tags, etc.

In my work, malformed markup indicates bugs in the markup-generating
logic. I rely on the W3C validator as my proofreading buddy. I cannot
get that same rigor from the validation of HTML in which, for
example, element closures are often optional.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.