Re: Incomplete URI in DOCTYPE HTML 4.01 Transitional Validates ?

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:44:43 +0300
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: mrwizkid <mrwizkid@gmail.com>
On Sep 18, 2009, at 02:50, mrwizkid wrote:

> I would like to to know why does the w3c validator validate a
> website as being 100% compliant if it has a missing or invalid URI ?

The SGML part of the W3C Validator is concerned with validity
according to SGML--not on triggering the no-quirks aka. standards mode.

> I have found that whether a website has or does not have a valid URI
> it still validates i noticed this for HTML 4.01 Transitional
> DOCTYPES i have not tried others.

This is correct per HTML 4, but it's not fully useful.

> We all know that if there is an invalid or missing URI it will put
> IE browsers in QuirksMode which means that not all code will work
> correctly like i have found with some Csscode i used in one of my
> recent projects. Because of this shouldnt w3c validator NOT make a
> site 100% compliant i know that for the most part if you had a
> missing or invalid URI such as the following

FWIW, the W3C Validator uses the Validator.nu engine as its HTML5 back
end but not as its HTML 4 back end. However, the Validator.nu engine
has the capability of complaining about that doctype (as seen on http://validator.nu/)
.

--
Henri Sivonen