Why is xmlns attribute mandatory on html element ?

From: Daniel Muller <Daniel.Muller@ec-lyon.fr>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:12:44 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello,

I am surprised that the validator claims that xmlns should be mandatory on the
html element of xhtml documents.

As far as I know, xmlns is declared as #FIXED.
I always interpreted a #FIXED attribute as not being mandatory in the
source xml document, but having to be returned in any case by the
parser (being present or not). Is this wrong ?

Does it mean that #FIXED attributes MUST appear in the source document ?
or is xmlns a special case ?

Any answer would be appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel