Re: [VE][65] totaly lost with <P>, <UL> and nested tables

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 09:42:28 +0100
To: Joop Nijenhuis <joop.nijenhuis@hccnet.nl>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
Joop Nijenhuis wrote:
> The main trouble with the validator is that it doesn't show you how its
> done in the right way.

It is very difficult for a machine to see something expressed
incorrectly and work out what was actually meant.

> I'm Dutch and I have to do with the information
> given in the Dutch language. I might be wrong, but all those (multiple
> documents) help pages about html do say I can nest tables, but its not
> allowed in the validator, I can use <P> in the <TD> tag, not in the
> validator, I can use <UL> in <TD>, but again not in the validator.

and the validator does not object to them - however, it is strongly
suggestive of using tables for layout, which is a bad practise.

> Sorry, I'm totaly lost here. Any good and official information about
> html somewhere?

http://w3.org/TR/html4/

(http://opera.com/wsc/ is unofficial, but quite good).

(Please direct responses to the www-validator mailing list, and not
directly to me, thanks)

--
David Dorward                               <http://dorward.me.uk/>