Role of DTDs in the validator (was: Re: Validating SVG+RDF)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:35:36 +0200
To: www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>
On Mar 9, 2009, at 14:49, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> Not trivial, but feasible. I invite you to review (with the WG) the
> validator's development roadmap, which looks into this question:
> http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/todo.html#roadmap

I notice that DTD validation is rather prominent in the next gen
picture.

Considering that RELAX NG or RELAX NG plus something else (Java,
Schematron) validation exists for HTML 4.01, SVG 1.1 and MathML 2.0
and newer specs such as SVG 1.2, HTML 5 and MathML 3.0 either don't
have a DTD or have a DTD as the less preferred schema, I wonder what
the purpose of DTD-based validation in "next gen" is.

Is keeping providing QA tools for authors who create HTML 2.0, 3.2,
4.0 or ISO HTML documents a goal[1]? Is not introducing more accuracy
to HTML 4.01 and SVG 1.1 validation so that previously "valid" pages
aren't found invalid a goal? Is maintaining support for custom DTDs in
SGML or XML a goal?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2005Sep/0052.html
--
Henri Sivonen