Re: proper use of validation icons

From: Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 04:25:27 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org
Andreas Prilop wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
>>> What do you do with
>>>    Accept: application/xhtml+xml; q=0
>> I send the document as xhtml.
>
> Why is it always the clueless who want to use XHTML with
> application/xhtml+xml ?

In general, 'application/xhtml+xml' should be used for XHTML Family
documents, and the use of 'text/html' should be limited to
HTML-compatible XHTML Family documents intended for delivery to user
agents that do not explicitly state in their HTTP Accept header that
they accept 'application/xhtml+xml' [HTTP].

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/

That's exactly what I do.

For agents that explicitly state in their HTTP Accept header that they
accept 'application/xhtml+xml' - the document object is served as xhtml
1.1 with the appropriate header.

This includes FireFox 2/3, Safari, Opera.

For agents that do not state they accept 'application/xhtml+xml' - I
send an html version of the document, and the appropriate text/html header.

Please explain how I am "clueless" ??
I'm following what the W3C recommends, and the result is a document the
requesting agent knows how to handle.