Re: proper use of validation icons

> Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
>
> What about the 99 % of surfers who have no intention
> of reporting markup errors?

What about the 99% of visitors that have no intention of ever clicking
Google's "Privacy" link? What about the 99% of people will never click on
the link to your website at the bottom of your e-mails? If something is
only considered interesting (or likely to be used) by 10% (or 1%, or
0.0001%) of people, does that mean it should be banned?

The validation icons exist for a reason (for several reasons, in fact,
both practical and ideological), which people have explained over and over
again. Clearly the W3C undestands those reasons, or they would not make
the icons available.

Must the validator list go through this argument whenever someone asks a
question related to the icons?

You don't like them? Don't use them. Make some t-shirts with slogans
against them. Start a blog.

> Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com> wrote:
>
> Is there a problem using the HTML 4.01 icon with documents that
> validate using the custom DTD,

I believe there is (a problem), since the icon is meant to indicate
conformance with a specific DTD.

> and if not, is there maybe a generic icon to at
> least declare the document validates against
> it's declared DTD ??

Its, not it's. YOU FAIL VALIDATION! ;)

And no, I don't think there is such an icon. And since the W3C's terms
don't allow for "derivative work", and since there is no simple "validator
icon" (to be used as a generic link to the validator), I believe your best
would be to create your own icon (or use a text link).

Speaking of which, would there be any interest in the creation of a
generic (but official) "W3C Validator" logo?

---
Rui del-Negro
DVD-HQ.info