Re: proper use of validation icons

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> With xhtml I don't have to define a new dtd, I can use the W3C DTD and
> just add the extra attlist stuff inside the DOCTYPE declaration node,
> W3C validator validates it as xhtml 1.1 and says I can use the pretty
> icons that demonstrate compliance. Everything is peachy.

Despite what the validator says, the document is in fact not "valid XHTML
1.1", to the extent that such an expression makes sense. The document is
valid (markup conforms to the DTD specified) but it does not use a DTD
specified in XHTML 1.1 specifications.

> Is there a problem using the HTML 4.01 icon with documents that
> validate using the custom DTD, and if not, is there maybe a generic
> icon to at least declare the document validates against it's declared
> DTD ??

There is always a problem in using those "pretty icons". They are worse than
useless, whether the document is valid or not and no matter what the DTD is.
For an explanation of this, check
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html#icon

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/